Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Chinese Chippendale Bench

I recently purchased a Chinese Chippendale bench from an establishment down the street.
With my discount the bench came to $63.00. I probably paid to much, it has good bones,
but will need to be totally redone. There was a piece of plywood and fabric screwed to the
top of the bench. You could barely see the beautiful bench underneath.  I gave the bench
a good coat of Cabot's wood stain in ebony to cover the nicks and dings. See the before


and after. This is only one coat of two, pretty nice huh? I want a Chinese Chinoiserie
Pagodas fabric for the seat, my guy Marvin, will create a box 2" - 3" seat to the top
and reinforce the frame for a small fee. Next I am posting three fabric choices. The last
Kravet , Indo Day fabric and greek key trim are my favorite, it all depends on how much
all this is going to cost. I try to keep my costs down in my store, I will add up the expenses



of doing this and times it by two, then sell it in the store.  So, the magazine photo with
the bench circled is my inspiration. The first fabric shown (sorry it is so faded0 is a
discontinued Clarence House, reg. $66.00/ now $19.95, the second is a very small
and bad picture of a Thomas Paul for Duralee at my cost of $35.75 and the last one
I am waiting for the prices from the Designers Market. Any suggestions?

No comments: