Saturday, June 9, 2012

Flow Blue English Porcelain

This week in Staunton we had a group of Antique car collectors in town. Friday was their last full
day in Staunton, I had a gentleman come in my store who was interested in the large collection of
Flow Blue that I had displayed in the center of my store. I love china, especially plates, anything
old and hand painted. To find a man interested in china threw me for a loop. This gentleman has
one of the largest collections of flow blue, the collection shown at the Winterthur Museum is the
largest. He lost part of his collection to his first wife and is now building his collection back to what
it was. He bought 11 pieces from me including, cups and saucers, a three piece covered butter
dish, soup bowls, a pitcher and a gravy boat with with a bottom dish. What is flow blue, it is a
style of white porcelain that originated in the Regency era, around 1820, among the Staffordshire
potters of England. The name flow blue came from the blue glaze that "flowed" during the firing







process. Enjoy the pictures of a couple of the pieces that I have left. I love china........

Pictured pieces- platters, salt plates, covered vegetable , vegetable dish, soup bowls
and the company stamp on the back of one of the pieces.

No comments: