Saturday, April 28, 2012

Brooke Aster

Today I am reading my new Traditional Home for May and came across a picture
of the late Brooke Astor's famous library decorated by Albert Hadley. It remined
me of a couple of pictures I had saved from  my magazines. I save pictures of things
I like and then file them in categories like chairs, dens, gardens and even foods recipes.
Some may think this is strange, but it helps me with my design work, entertaining, etc.

Any who, I saved a few of these pictures to post in Mrs. Astor's honor.
These pictures were taken by Annie Leibovitz and were for an article about
suits. Yes, her outfit is impeccable, but that's not what got my attention. I am
looking at the beautiful room decorated by Sister Parish. Notice the well suited
pastel of the Afro American hanging on the wall to the left and the beautiful
skirted table with the floral chintz french chairs, the marble topped gilt demi-
lume table with the faux bois wood box under neath. This must have been a
beautiful room to be in. The next picture shows Mrs. Aster at her best. Well dressed
again and I am not just talking about her, a room can be well dressed too. In the bottom
photo you see the same floral chintz on the club chair, the large gold chippendale mirror,
and the collection of green  foo dogs and temple jars. A lovely room again. Entertaining
in this room must of been over the top. The last photo in the upper left hand corner
is the picture of the library I mentioned earlier. Timeless style and not a wide screen tv
in site!

No comments: