Monday, December 1, 2014

Historic Staunton Christmas Tour Part1

If you have seen the pictures that I am posting on my
Instagram and Facebook pages, you know that I have
been getting my house ready for the Historic Staunton
Christmas Tour. Last year they featured a house that I
helped decorate, this year they asked me to participate
along with four other neighbors. We live in the historic
Gospel Hill section of Staunton, my house (which I rent),
was built in 1877, I think. So last week  and this week I
am getting ready for the two day tour that is this weekend.

I am doing this in stages with what I have, Big Lots purchases and things
from my store downtown. I started Wednesday because of the snow, almost
all of downtown was closed and Thankgiving Day because the store was closed.
Thanksgiving Day was really fun because I could drink champagne and eat turkey
while I decorated.


I had bolts and bolts of burlap ribbon at the store, so that kind of became
my theme, natural and woodsy. The garland I bought wholesale and it was
a closeout, the gold ribbon used through out the house I found at Big Lots
along with the birds. The ribbon is about four inches wide, 60 feet for $7.00.
I bought four bolts and have only had to use about two!


I am going for a whimsical, non traditional Christmas decorating look

This house has massive mantels, which make it fun to decorate with.






I went over to my Mother's Thursday afternoon and picked greens to add
to my arrangements and the tree came Saturday night, it was donated by
Rick Chittum, from Chittum Tree Farms. I had to go back Sunday for more
greens.





I worked on the Christmas tree Saturday night and Sunday I went back to Mom's
for more greens and worked on the outside. Elfie and I took a walk earlier that day
and found all sorts of inspiration, everyone was out side decorating because it was
so mild outside. My Mom came over that afternoon for champagne and a look see
at what I had done. Post two, I will show you more of what I have done.

No comments: